Compare medical schemes and get exactly what you want.
December 14, 2012
Many people become confused when they have to make a decision about their health cover. Medical schemes compared alongside each other often do not supply clear info.
The quote data is often technical with conditions and terms that are difficult to understand. Yet you need to compare quotes as the cost of proper health care is vital. After all, it may end up to be a life and death decision.
Medical schemes Compared and How to Compare them
Proper health care is vital, but many people are not entirely sure that they have made the right decision when they chose a specific medical scheme.
Here are some points that may help –
- Compare apples with apples. Most schemes provide a typed quote based upon the info you send. However, the quotes are sometimes difficult to compare. Because various schemes use different formats, they emphasise different aspects of the cover they offer.
- It helps if you state the exact cover you need and in the format you want.
- You can get quotes from a number of websites very quickly. The quotes are in a standard format, making it easier to compare. Just type in “compare medical aid plans”.
- All quotes should clearly state they are compliant with the PMB’s as required by law. If you are not happy with the deal, negotiate or ask for more info.
- There is nothing wrong in pointing out to a provider that a competitor offers better terms or benefits. If you like the company, ask if they can offer the same plan.
- Ask advice from your family or friends who have a medical aid plan. Personal experiences of others are often the best yardstick when an important decision must be made.
Medical schemes Compared – Facts to remember –
Medical aid schemes are strictly controlled and run by competent and responsible professionals. It’s your choice as to what scheme you buy, and you are responsible for doing proper research before making a decision.
In general, the main difference between the types of cover offered is the amount you pay for certain treatment and medicine. Also, the frequency with which a medical practitioner is consulted. You must, therefore, be realistic about your needs and circumstances.
Most schemes have some form of an incentive program. It is therefore, not a good idea to change schemes often. A long-term relationship with a company always benefits the consumer in the long run.
Read this article entitled Top 10 Facts About Medical Aids in South Africa
All info was correct at time of publishing