Taking care of your and your loved one’s health and well-being is as important as ever. Take a look at these 5 reasons as to why you should belong to a reputable medical aid in South Africa:
- The sooner you join up with a medical aid, the better you will be able to afford your monthly premium in years to come. Many a scheme implements penalties for joining later and those often come in the form of higher premiums and waiting periods.
- In terms of South Africa’s Medical Schemes Act, every medical scheme has to cover every aspect of some 300 conditions and 27 chronic conditions – and there are very few injuries and illnesses that fall outside such constraints. When you do join a scheme such as Discovery Health, you can rest assured that your health plan will cover what it should cover. If you’re unsure, ask your medical scheme advisor all the questions you need to until you gain clarity.
- If you already have a hospital plan, is it going to be adequate cover if you need intensive medical care such as cancer treatment or heart bypass surgery? When you fall ill or have an accident, the last thing you want is to be faced with unplanned for medical bills. Choose a Discovery Health plan that is as comprehensive as your budget allows for.
- The roads are dangerous in South Africa and the chances become higher of you or your family experiencing an injury as a result of a car crash, stressing the need for quality medical cover.
- It’s been shown that South Africans are more likely to suffer from a heart attack, stroke or cancer. Luckily, medical aids have to cover all the costs for the treatment in full, with a few exceptions.
Discovery Health Scheme
Discovery Health has become a household name amongst medical aid members. They offer a complete range of cover to suit a range of budgets and needs including:
• Executive Plan
• Comprehensive Series
• Priority Series
• Saver Series
• Core Series
• Keycare Series
Ensuring You have Adequate Cover
When you’re ready to join a medical aid scheme, consider the following:
- If your scheme is sorted out by your employer, make sure you have the right cover. If you get to make the choice, review your plan annually to make sure you’re getting the best benefits for your bucks.
- Check out your hospital plan. Too often we choose to simply take out a hospital plan to save on medical aid costs. If you’d prefer to have a hospital plan, make sure you take one out with a medical aid such as Discovery Health instead of an insurance company. You’ll get better cover since specific rules apply about minimum benefits that don’t apply to insurance companies.
Once you’ve chosen your plan, keep in touch with your provider prior to checking into hospital, changing GPs or visiting a specialist. And when you do need to make use of your medical aid, be sure to carry your medical aid card and details with you and provide your healthcare provider with the correct membership details.