Oxygen Medical Scheme
The Oxygen medical scheme, now the fourth largest in South Africa, came into being in 2010 after a successful merge with the Medshield scheme. The scheme claims to provide health cover for more than a quarter of a million people.
They boast that they pay claims within a day, and with a global credit rating of AA- this medical aid is certainly one of the healthiest in the country, at least as far as their financial wellbeing is concerned!
Members can rest assured that the scheme has the systems in place and the finances available to honour their obligations.
What is different about Oxygen?
Oxygen medical has established itself as a major player in the health industry. Since its inception affordable cover and superb service have been the main reasons for their phenomenal growth. They base their success on four pillars related to service and quality health care.
- All members, regardless of the plan they chose, have full access to a host of additional benefits such as hospital management, a chronic medicine program, treatment for AIDS and a full oncology treatment program.
- Unlike most other medical schemes, they promise to pay claims within a single working day and they promise to answer calls within fourteen seconds. Surveys have shown that these promises are kept. This quick turn-around policy has earned the company a large number of loyal members and consumer feedback sites are mostly complimentary.
- All members, once again regardless of the plan that they belong to, have full access to round-the-clock emergency medical services. They furthermore have unlimited and free access to telephonic medical assistance twenty four hours per day and seven days a week.
- Oxygen has set up a Medical Services Organization that offers members specifically designed programs to manage a list of chronic diseases. This list includes heart disease, asthma and diabetes.
What plans do they offer?
This medical aid scheme offer three plans, each designed for a different target group. Members can upgrade their benefit as their circumstances and needs change.
- The Core Plus plan is meant for younger people that are fit and healthy. Families that only need or that can only afford cover for major medical expenses will also be attracted to this plan. Such major expenses include unlimited hospitalization and limited access to chronic medication.
- The Essential plan offers relatively cheap medical cover for people with lower incomes. A unique characteristic of this plan is that the member contribution is capped according to the income of the member. With this plan, day-to-day medical expenses are managed by means of a savings plan.
- The Standard plan is the most popular in the Oxygen stable of products. It offers cover for major medical expenses including a full range of in-hospital benefits. It also allows members limited access to chronic medication and ordinary day-to-day medical care expenses is managed by means of a savings plan.
One of the main reasons why Oxygen is so successful and why it enjoys such a high level of member satisfaction is the excellent service offered. The company tries to avoid complicated contracts and a myriad of different plans that often only serve to confuse consumers.