Fedhealth Medical Aid
Fedhealth Medical Aid was started in 1936 and was then known as Reef Medical scheme. With the passing of years, Fedhealth has evolved developing medical aid schemes geared to satisfy all unique individual needs. The solutions provided by Fedhealth are famed to be of reasonable cost and customers get their money’s worth in dealing with Fedhealth.
Fedhealth currently sits as the 5th largest medical aid in South Africa. The scheme is financially stable with solvency levels complying with the legal requirements and due to their commitment to satisfy their clients, Fedhealth have been awarded with an AA- Global Credit Rating.
“Real Medical Aid”
Fedhealth Medical Aid, which brands itself as the “Real Medical Aid”, has two major categories of products. These are the Maxima and the Ultima.
The Ultima category is designed for people with a more advanced age who might require more benefits in their packages. This category has three options which include; Ultimax, Ultima 200 and Ultima 300.
The maxima category has six options which offer basic to extensive benefits, this options include; Maxima Entry Zone, Maxima core, Maxima Basis, Maxima Standard, Maxima Exec and Maxima plus.
Blue Door plan
This medical aid scheme has the Blue Door plan that is created to assist those who may not have sufficient financial power. These are especially the young who have just started working.
This plan will still offer unlimited hospital cover from all the medical facilities in the country that are associated with the Fedhealth network. Emergency services such as evacuation are provided with the assistance of Europ Assistance South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
This scheme also covers for the costs of special services such as MRI and CT scans. Oral or cosmetic surgery are not covered.
Additional benefits with the Maxima basis plan
If a client decides to get the Maxima basis plan, then they will be availed with many other additional benefits such as; the clients can get cover even in facilities that are not listed as Fedhealth associates, the clients will also be given cover for day to day expenses, (though limited), in cases of trauma, counselling is provided.
Members who are involved in high risk sports will be covered in case of any mishap; this could even be in the eventuality that they can no longer practise in the sport. Members who could be having chronic conditions such as diabetes, HIV, or cancer will in addition to getting medical cover also benefit from disease management programmes which will benefit greatly in dealing with their condition and making them more productive.
Fedhealth Medical Aid has some added benefits which include:
- The scheme will provide unlimited hospital cover in any hospital
- If a member wants to upgrade to a better plan they are not constrained to specific dates
- Children will be charged with the lower child rate until they are at the advanced age of 27 and there is no underwriting when the children want to transfer to adult membership
- Post-hospitalization costs are covered for a month after one is discharged from the hospital
- The Fedhealth medical scheme covers for 56 chronic conditions in almost all their products
- Specialised radiology is not paid out of savings but from Risk
- The scheme will cover members involved in extreme sports
- all oral contraceptives are free
- and medication that is taken home when one is discharged is given free of charge
Fedhealth is not a monopoly in the offering of healthcare schemes in South Africa and some of its competitors that those seeking health cover can check out are Discovery Medical Aid, Bonitas Medical Aid and Gems Medical Aid.