Who Runs Your Medical Aid?
There have been a number of mergers of South African medical aids in the past years. In addition, some more mergers lie ahead. So who runs your medical aid?
Mergers that have already occurred haves led to confusion with some medical scheme members not receiving their medical aid tax certificates and others failing to receive correspondence from the takeover partner in the new organization.
Please take note:
- Bestmed Medical Scheme and SAPPI Medical Aid Scheme intend to merge with effect from 1 April 2013. The SAPPI Medial Aid Scheme will be incorporated into Bestmed.
- Bestmed Medical Scheme and Minemed Medical Aid Scheme are to merge. For more details go to: http://www.medicalschemes.com/files/Circulars/Circular32Of2013.pdf
- Pro Sano merged with Bonitas Medical Fund – the second largest open medical scheme in South Africa –
- with effect from 1 October 2012. Pro Sano has fallen away as a brand and therefore former Pro Sano members should communicate with Bonitas Medical Scheme regarding membership queries.
- Resolution Health Medical Scheme merged with the National Independent Medical Aid Society (NIMAS) with effect from 1 August 2012, with NIMAS being effectively absorbed into Resolution, although ex-NIMAS members should note that their membership numbers and banking details for contributions remain the same.
- Momentum Medical Aid is now a member of the MMI Holdings. In December 2010, Momentum and Metropolitan Holdings merged to form the listed entity MMI Holdings. As part of the MMI Holdings group, Momentum continues to offer financial services in the advice, insurance, investments and health area. Metropolitan Health and Momentum continue as separate schemes but under the MMI umbrella.
- Oxygen Medical Aid merged with Medshield Medical Aid with effect from 1 October 2010, with Medshield incorporating Oxygen.
Still have questions about who runs your medical aid?
If you have further queries concerning these mergers, please contact the Council for Medical Schemes Customer Care Centre on 0861 123 267