Hospital Cover South Africa
The cost of private medical care in this country is simply frightening. Just a general doctor’s appointment can set you back a few hundred rands and that’s before you’ve had to pay out for medicine.
Moreover, sick people are usually required to get referrals from their GPs before they can see a specialist. As for hospitalisation, well, that’s just one major expense and there are treatments and procedures that cost as much as hundreds of thousands of rands.
Not everyone can afford to pay for a medical treatment from their own pocket and if they don’t want to be subjected to the shortcomings of our public health system, they need to sign up with a medical aid.
Choosing Hospital Cover South Africa
If you find the task of choosing hospital cover South Africa daunting, the first thing you need to know is that there’s no one best hospital plan. There are a few different factors that you need to consider when shopping around and what’s ideal for one family might not be your family’s ideal. Take a look at the follo
wing points to consider when choosing a medical aid:
• What sort of monthly premium can you realistically afford? Many people say they couldn’t possibly afford comprehensive cover but they go on holiday sometimes more than once a year or buy a new car every couple of years. They even have gym memberships and all the latest gadgets. But what happens if a medical emergency strikes? It can change the life of your whole family. Therefore, it’s essential that proper medical cover be made a priority if you don’t want other lifestyle enhancements to fade away when an accident or serious disease occurs.
• Consider a full medical assessment for your whole family – it’s worth every cent. The results will depict any potential problems and whether or not you and your family are susceptible to certain conditions. It’s valuable information to be gained when choosing hospital cover South Africa that’s right for you.
• If you’re feeling overwhelmed, use a medical aid broker who can professionally guide you towards the best plan for you and your family’s needs.
• Shop around for quotes from different medical schemes and compare like with like. The benefits that different plans offer aren’t always the same so make sure that the plan you’re considering will fulfil the needs of your family. Don’t make your decision based solely on the plan price.
• It’s always a good idea to choose hospital cover that can be adapted should your circumstances change.
Do You Really Need Medical Cover?
The short answer: yes. While we do have a decent public health sector in this country, there are still many people who aren’t able to abide by the rigid conditions or extensive waiting periods common in most of our academic hospital facilities. It can be time-consuming getting referrals for specialists and there are often too many steps involved to receive specialist treatment. The right cover will make such procedures far easier.
Read about Discovery hospital cover here.