Discovery Health Medical Scheme
The Discovery Health Medical Scheme has a total membership which exceeds two millions lives and this makes it by far the largest medical aid scheme in the country. The brand was first launched in 1998 and has received an AA+ rating from independent agency Global Credit Rating, which is the highest score available for its ability to pay out its members’ claims.
With such a large foundation of members their reserves have grown to more than R7.4 billion and this gives members peace of mind that their claims will be paid out. This has also contributed to their membership growth which has increased by more than 100 000 people annually since 2008.
Their solvency ratio is 23.5%, below the required 25%, but this is explained away because of the strong membership growth. Discovery as a medical health service provider is considered to be financially sound.
There are a wide range of health plans under the Discovery Health Medical Scheme so that they cater to both the top-end salary bracket and the lower income earners. All these health care options offer full cover for approved medicines from a defined list of chronic conditions and members also have access to HIVCare, Oncology and Renal programmes.
To find the health scheme that most suits your pocket and your particular health requirements you need to compare health plans:
- Executive Plan – main member R3 764
- Comprehensive Series
- Classic Comprehensive – main member R3 086
- Classic Delta Comprehensive – main member R2 780
- Classic Zero MSA – main member R2 315
- Essential Comprehensive – main member R2 594
- Essential Delta Comprehensive – main member R 2 335
- Priority Series
- Classic – main member R2 069
- Essential – main member R1 778
- Saver Series
- Classic – main member R1 814
- Classic Delta – main member R1 449
- Essential – main member R1 442
- Essential Delta – main member R1 152
- Coastal – main member R1 428
- Core Series
- Classic – main member R1 350
- Classic Delta – main member R1 081
- Essential – main member R1 160
- Essential Delta – main member R927
- Coastal – main member R998
- KeyCare Series (rate depends on which of the three salary brackets a member falls in)
- KeyCare Plus – main member from R638 – R1 330
- KeyCare Access – main member from R450 – R 1300
- KeyCare Core – main member from R511 – R 982
- Discovery Vitality
- Single member – R155
- KeyFIT – R33
- Vitality and KeyFIT – R165
The wide range of options from Discovery Health Medical Scheme means that you can find a hospital plan or medical scheme that’s perfectly suited to your specific requirements.
This healthcare provider has also developed a variety of online tools to help members keep track of their medical information online. These include following claims, checking benefits, hospital admissions, managing chronic conditions, finding healthcare professionals and even ordering medicine.
At the touch of a button you can use your smartphone to access your personal records, watch educational videos, order medicine, compare medicine prices, track claims and you can even translate travel cover into one of five different languages.
Furthermore, they have launched HealthID, an innovative healthcare information application that allows healthcare professionals access to a patient’s information through an iPad.